4 Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me.
5“Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.
- Vine- a plant that produces grapes (fruit)
- Branch-tender, flexible; the shoot of the vine.
- Abide-remain, not depart, endure
- Jesus is telling us to remain in Him.
- Abide, stick with Him, not depart from Him.
- Branches that are not longer attached to the vine are fruitless.
- Those who remain attached produce much fruit.
- He remains in those you remain in Him.
- Apart from the vine, we can do nothing.
Picture the Gardener walking through the vineyard with his pruner. Pulling and cutting away all the vines that didn’t have any grapes on it. He realizes those vines are not useful to him. In comparison , I see him looking at those plump juicy vines and smiling because they stayed attached to the vine and produces such a beautiful useful harvest.
- God the Father is the Gardener
- Jesus is the Vine
- We are the branches
- God cuts off and prunes away the non productive fruit branches.
Jesus tells us if we stay attached to Him, you will not be cut off. Those with Him bear much fruit. We are to attach to the Vine in order that we might produce much fruit for the Gardener.
Are your attached to the Vine? What fruit do you see producing in your life ? Your fruit shows that your are disciple of Jesus.
Are you apart from Him, producing nothing? Are you in danger of God pruning your branch away in the firewood pile because there is no fruit?
Attach to the Vine to produce much fruit.